I wonder how much 'worldly' thinking gets mixed in with what we christians think we believe. Or rather is it not the subtle un-renewed thinking we live with which has been impregnated with worldliness since the moment we were born?
This whole area of success and fulfilment is a quagmire. According to the world men have to be powerful, successful in their jobs, make a lot of money, manage marriage and children, as well as changing the world, whatever that means. They have to be heroes, yet tactile, sympathetic, and caring. Pretty tall order don't you think? The Holy Spirit has the wonderful capacity to shine His light right through the stuff we think, whether we are conscious of thinking it or not. Those of us from a shame based, performance, background need constant mind renewal to truth. I am so thankful that the emergent mystic community is willing to anchor their bliss in truth. Our lives must be anchored in truth, God's truth; and in particular God's truth for us.
So what now do I believe about success, and fulfilment? Well I know God is not looking for heroes, per se. He is not looking for supermen, He already had all that in Jesus. He is looking for me to be a childlike lover. No more no less. He encouraged me this morning not to look so much at myself as a son with authority standing tall next to Him (which I am); but more of a son who was childlike and trusting. Maybe trust is something Daddy wants to develope in me. 1 John 4 is a marvellous chapter of truth. John teaches the church to believe and trust on the love God cherishes for us. Then he encourages us to spend time in communion with God as this perfects agape in us, and perfected agape in turn will push fear out of doors. When we think of judgement day we are to be completely at ease in God's love, comfortable about meeting Him.
I want nothing more this morning than to be found in His presence, gazing upon His beauty, and communing with Him. If that intoxicates me, and I fall into a trance I'm up for it. He He.

No comments:
Post a Comment