Monday, 14 March 2011

With Fresh Eyes.......

I don't know whether it is the same for you but sometimes for me the important can become mundane. When I first became a Christian I wanted the book of Acts to replicate itself in my life, not just the signs and wonders, but the conversions to Christ as well. For years I looked around locally to see if there was any band of disciples actually doing the stuff. Unfortunately I appeared to be on my own. Over time the mandate from Jesus to go into all the world cooled as I kept going and nothing seemed to happen. Many other things came to claim the first place in my life, not all of them were wrong, many could be claimed to have been initiated by the Holy Spirit, including a journey of decentralisation of church structures.
Just recently I have been prompted to look once again at Christ's commission to His disciples.
'All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things I have commanded you and lo, I Am with you always, even to the end of the age.' Matth. 28:18-20.
Pretty simple?
Yes but somehow I think the church generally, and me included, didn't get it. It's the same as the new commandment Jesus gave us. Two thousand years has passed and still we don't take it seriously. One thing is apparent though. The old wineskin of church as we knew it is over. The unsaved don't want to be part of religious church any more than christians. With the increase in militant secularism the best weapon the church has for this is the gospel, and de-centralisation.

No comments:

Post a Comment