I was pondering on the exhortation of Jesus to preach the gospel, and the gospel that Paul preached. I can't recall an instance where Paul exhorted us to preach the Gospel, help me out if you find one. After what my mate JC said last week I'm viewing things in a different light. Jesus was born a Jew in the flesh, ministered to the Jewish community, OK the Samaritans for 5 minutes, but weren't they Hebraic? He taught in parables so nobody understood Him, not even His disciples. He majored on displaying God's character, and illuminated the Kingdom through His teaching.
He did this for a specific reason because what the Jews had experienced under the law was soon to change. The Old Covenant was soon to end and Jesus was preparing them for the transition. He exhorted His disciples to preach the gospel of the Kingdom, accompanied with miracles. At the end of Matthew He told His disciples to preach this gospel. But did he tell me?
After pentecost the Jewish disciples were thrust out of Jerusalem because of persecution and continued to preach the gospel of the Kingdom, and I think to a mainly Jewish audience. Then comes the paradigm shift, the catalyst if you like. Saul the Pharisee, zealous to persecute the Way, gets zapped on the road to Damascus. Specifically chosen by Jesus, specifically set apart for the work of God. This Jewish firebrand apprehended by Jesus was anointed to preach to the Gentiles. Where Peter broke into Gentile preaching, Paul takes the lid off, opens up the throttle and lets rip with the good news to the Gentiles. The Jewish Christians in Jerusalem are shocked that this renegade should even tell them that he received his revelation from Jesus Himself, and wasn't seeking their permission to preach, but was just asking for their advice. By God's grace, and the love of Barnabas, Paul set off with the letter from James in his hand coupled to the Holy Spirit. He set the whole world alight, wrote most of the New Testament, but sadly a lot of Christians don't believe his revelation.
OK lets cut to the quick. The gospel of the Kingdom is Kingdom centred. The gospel of Christ is CHRIST CENTRED.
Jesus said to the Jews in person. 'Hey the Kingdom has come, its right next to you.'
Jesus says to the Church through Paul. 'Hey I'm here. I'm in you and right next to you. I wasn't in Adam, but I'm in you. All I want you to do is to go into your world and let Me out.
Paul said that he didn't want any one to know anything except CHRIST CRUCIFIED. That's all he preached. He preached Christ, forward, back, which way. I'm not stepping on anyone's toes but a whole industry has grown out of Kingdom preaching, and there are some mega churches employed in this. Miracles, and healings are fine as they point to Jesus. But I'll go with what Jesus said to Paul.

An interesting post! I've never thought that there could be a difference between Jesus' and Paul's teaching on preaching the gospel. I take it that your starting point is the 'all the work is finished on the cross' school of thought that seems to have impacted many in Gloryfest. Since it's only through Facebook updates that I've picked up on this, the details are sketchy - but I think I'm getting the drift of the teaching.
ReplyDeleteIn this post you are taking that starting point and suggesting that it can be applied to the issue of 'preaching the gospel' and that in the difference between Jesus' way and Paul we can see this view outworked. Am I right so far?
Up to now the church has not seen any difference between Jesus and Paul (as far as I know) on this issue. That doesn't mean the church has got it right - but it does mean that there needs to be a pretty strong reason to change our minds on this. I would say that the 'everything is finished in the cross' argument is a very weighty point - but is it right and even if it is can it be applied here, are two big questions that need exploring further.
There definitely is something in the point you make about 'letting Jesus out' as we go about our everyday life. We have made much of a professional attitude towards preaching the gospel and have majored too heavily on the 'one man preaches from the front' way of evangelism. These are valid criticisms I would say and I blogged on the issue myself a while back http://dyfedwynroberts.org.uk/index/church-mission-how-religious-is-it-.
Could you explain more about what you mean when you say, 'The gospel of the Kingdom is Kingdom centred. The gospel of Christ is CHRIST CENTRED'? How much of a difference is there between these two?