Thursday, 10 March 2011

The way we are made?

Looking at the needs God put in everyone He created we cannot overlook the need for heroism. We know about the need to be loved, and to give love. We know about the basic needs, physical, emotional, physical, and the spiritual. But what about the need for heroism? I am indebted to Neil Cole for the input I have received from him over the last week or so. Neil is a true hero, as he has stuck to the task, and has been successful. Heroism though is more than success, its the deliberate choice of laying down your life for someone, or something else. All of us pine to be heroes. Growing up we look to imaginary heroes like Superman, Biggles, Dan Dare, or more recently for me Indiana Jones. But they are characters of someone's imagination. The real Hero was Jesua. He laid Himself down for everyone. He laid His life down at Calvary for those who would accept Him, and those who hated Him. Remarkable as it is He chose weak men to be His disciples. Ordinary men, men with 'issues'. One man who was 'successful' He dumped on the road to Damascus, and taught him that weakness was to be the key of the Kingdom.
Jesus chooses weak people, and strong people, to be His followers. But only those who are willing to give up their lives for the 'mission' will be heroic. To be a hero you must accept that something, or somebody must be more important than you. Jesus is the ultimate calling. But He initiated a movement that cannot be stopped, and everyone who choses to follow Jesus must by definition become part of that movement.
What was the movement? It is the multiplication of disciples. Maybe the commission of Jesus has been misunderstood by both the evangelical, and charismatic wing of the church. When I got so excited about the book of Acts 28yrs, ago I really didn't understand what was going on. Revisiting the commissioning of the disciples by Jesus is shedding much needed revelation into why I am who I am.

1 comment:

  1. great timing Denis, as only this morning as I was driving I was thinking how much I want to help these kids I see all the time with so much damage, but also I prayed to God how i would love to be a help to the parents who bring up these hurting children. As I looked ahead the car in front of me had a sticker Help For Hero's (the soldier one) I felt God say yes I will be a help to the hero's the real hero's.
    Thanks so much for more confirmation.
    Bless you Paula xx

    ReplyDelete